Sunday, March 4, 2007

Coordinator Rods: A love hate relationship

I took it apart at last today! I'll have an entry on that coming up soon. But I'd like to take a little time to explain single coordinating rods.

On guitars, it's a very difficult task to adjust the neck angle. You have to manipulate the truss rod inside the neck to get it to either settle or become tight. But with banjos, it's a much easier process. Espically if you have a double rod set. Imagine this is kinda of a push pull relationship.

For example:
In the top image, Both the rods are the same length. Now in the second image, the lower rod, has had the adjuster nut moved so the rod is longer. Therefore, it pushes the neck back giving it a positive angle. In the lower image, the upper rod is increased in length and causes a negative angle. (If I got the positive and negative wrong, sorry).

But I have a single. So it's much harder to adjust. It merely holds the neck in place rather than doing any true adjusting. But here's the low down: I have to make shims and slip them into place to change the angle. Which is rather time consuming. It I could, I'd just go and add another rod to the banjo.

No comments: