Sunday, March 4, 2007

Disassembly part two

So i'm going to pick this up from where I last left off.

So here, I begin the long awaited process of removing the coordinator rod. First, I loosen the connecting nut between the neck bolt and the rod itself. To do that, I loosen it and the nut rolls onto the rod. then the neck is completely separated from the rod.

For some reason, when I loosened the rod, I played around with some of the nuts on the end and the tail piece came off. So now the endpiece nut is loose.

Well, since the tailpiece came off, I might as well take off the hook and nut for the tail piece. It took a bit of muscle to work the darn thing off.

Well, I had take the neck off to make the whole process a bit easier. It looks like the rod is still connected, but it's actually hanging around the other hole. To remove the neck, there's two bolts. One bolted directly to the pot and the other one with the connecting nut from the rod. So undo the coordinator nut and then undo the nut that holds the neck onto the body and it comes right off.

So here's the damages of the previous owner. It's a bit hard to see in this photo, but those two holes are where the neck bolts go. There's a groove offset of the holds and I cant fix it. Also, alot of weird newspaper gunk came off too. Also, There was a piece of emory cloth shoved in between to act as a shim I first thought. But when I put back on the neck, It turns out the whole thing was warped so I ended up sticking it back in.

So there's the next thing I have to do before I can do anything else. I gotta get the arm rest off of the body. The thing is held on with a small fishplate and two screws. So undo the screws and the plate and the armrest will come off.

So this is a picture of the neck separated from the pot assembly. You can tell because you can see it in the back. But it's a decent neck. I'm not too crazy about the Mother of Toilet Seat inlays.

Another view of the neck

I probably missed some photos, but here's the headstock with the tuners removed. The smaller holes that surround the large holes are the screw holes for the tuners to secure to with screws. Triumphant with my victory over taking the tuners off, I realized now a small problem.

The bushings are still in. I have no clue on how to remove these sort of things.

I ended taking a small finishing hammer and a punch and tapping the bushings out. I had to be careful while doing for fear of damaging the really thin punch. To remove, Fit the punch against the rim on the inside, then give a several sharp taps, move the punch to the other side of the inside rim of the bushing and repeat the process. You must do it evenly, other

So there's the headstock, now devoid of its old bushings. Clean the headstock with a little warm soapy water and it'll look pretty decent.

Oops, Sorry. I guess dealt with the neck first before removing the armrest. But this view gives you an idea of how the rest is attached on. It's all tension and screws.

Again, I would like to apologize for all the poor pictures. Next time I will have someone take pictures for me. But that's my fingers taking off each nut. I took off about 31 nuts. To make sure none get lost, remove the hook and screw the nuts back on. When taking them off, try to do it systematically. It's a time consuming process and should be done carefully. Otherwise, you will end up with the head making annoying crinkly sounds as you're taking off the nuts.

So there, all the hooks and nuts are gone. In this picture, I forgot to take one off. But the hooks hold down the tension hoop (what i'm holding in the above picture) and the hooks are secured by the nuts through the wall shoes.

So there goes the ring. The head comes off to reveal the tone ring.

I was annoyed at the rather cheap tone ring. It was nothing more than a piece of galvanized steel rolled into a circle. I thought at least it would be a nicer material, rather than this rebar-like piece of steel. Stay tuned for the final segment of Disassembly

No comments: