Saturday, March 17, 2007

Installing the tailpiece

So my banjo is different from most models. Most require this and that to install the tailpiece. All these sort of things like hooks, t plates, l brackets, etc. I dont bother. Luckily, my banjo only needs a lug which I've got. But to accommodate the Waverly, I had to make a special modification involving shortening the distance between the lug and the pot. I had to get rid of the extra nut and replace it with a new washer and a locking split ring washer which turned out rather nice.

So that's how it looks. Simple piece of equipment. The bar from the tailpiece drops down through that hole and screw in the locking nut.

This is a waverly, a five string design, but works with four. in essential, its a lighter version of a Kershner. It uses a simple t head bolt to hold the thing down which works effectively.

So see how the holding bolt drops directly through that hole? I wouldnt do that before the modification I made.
Screw in the nut (the thing that's longer than the pot) And you're done! Simple is it not?

Its a simple design, but very elegant. Quite ravishing if I say so myself.

So that's it. Simple, dimple, done. Its merely a job of getting it to fit proper.

Here's a little sneak preview of what's to come. I went all out and got the nicer bridge. :)

Happy Strumming!

1 comment:

Propub said...

Sweet dude, but any idea how to install a tailpiece onto a Framus Dixi 6/74?